Saturday, September 13, 2014

A Janitors Day

  Like I already said, I am a Janitor at a factory. Even though that's the case, I rarely clean toilets. In fact, I'm more of a grounds keeper because my primary job is to mow and take care of the outside of the building.
  There are three Janitor positions where I work. One person takes care of the restrooms and empties the trash cans throughout the building. At last count there were over thirty cans. It takes all day and it stinks to high heaven! The next man drives a floor scrubber. It's his job to keep the floor clean in the entire building and to maintain the scrubber. The last one is my job, grounds keeper. I do a lot more than that though. I fill propane tanks, clean the cafeteria, sweep the parking lot, etc.
  I've worked there for 30 years. I have only been a janitor for the past three years. I worked production just like the other 400 people there.I love my job as a janitor! I get to spent most of my work day outside.
  I have two good supervisors. I say good because I rarely see them. They pretty much leave the janitors alone as long as no one complains about the restrooms or the cafeteria being dirty.
  My day starts with filling up propane tanks for the fork trucks. Sometimes I fill up 15, sometimes it's 32. It all depends on  how many jobs were running on the prior shifts. That takes around an hour. Then I clean the cafeteria. That takes another hour. By then it's first break. After break I start my mowing at around 9:30. I mow all day for two days straight. Then on the third day I start the weed- eating. It takes two days to do all the weeding. By Friday I have time to spray weed killer and pick up trash outside. This is a typical week for me in the summer month's. That's not accounting for rainy days which throw me behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment